Thursday, November 8, 2012

This House~



This is a farewell poem to the house I've always known as my Grandpa's. He's moving, and I'll really miss the old place. The scents, the view, the cozy fireplaces. I'll never forget it... {This picture is actually the view of the frozen lake from his back porch.}

I pause in the doorway
And look around...
Echoes of days passed
Waft and surround...

I see images,
Pictures in my head...
See faces, hear voices,
Remember things said.

The flicker of the burning
Flames in the fireplace
On a cold winter morning,
Warm on my face.

The smell of wood smoke,
The view of the lake,
I'll miss these iconic
Things with an ache.

I used to play here
Hide-And-Go-Seek:
In the small pantry,
The door betrayed me with a creak. 

Bonanza on television,
Ducklings on the water,
I splashed in the shallows,
A content granddaughter.

Memories made with my
Sisters and brothers
At that camp on the lake,
Different from others...

With slow regret,
I close the door
And step from the porch,
 Look back a time more.

For the place has been sold,
Passed to another...
Farewell to the house
Where once lived Grandfather.  

© Hannah Scarlett 2012

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I see no house in the picture...otherwise, the poem really reminds me of Grandpa's house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Brought a lot of memories back for me. And a tear to my eye. Thanks sweet pea

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me a bit of my old house, before my parents got divorced.

    I love that house, and I still remember every single detail.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate feedback~